Thursday, May 24, 2007

Six Foot Ten Inch Giant

A friend of a friend has joined me here in Shanghai. Musician and world traveler Scott arrived late on Tuesday and about twelve hours later, the 6'10" American and I hit the streets. If I thought I was getting stared at before, now I was getting the attention of just about everyone we passed. Chinese people kept coming up to us and asking if Scott was taller than Chinese NBA star Yao Ming.
Chinese NBA star Yao Ming. He's the tall guy, not the bald guy.

We meet some Calligraphy students who showed us their works and offered to write us something in Chinese Calligraphy. My friend Soledad asked me to get her a Chinese name so I asked the students if they could come up with one.



Great Success

from your American friend
Sha La De (Soledad in Chinese)
great success in all your life
from Shanghai [artists name - the stamp in red]

沙 Sha = sand
拉 La = pull
德 De = good virtues

After the art experience, Scott and I meet two girls who asked us to tea. We tried many quality teas and had a great hour and a half with Linda and JuiJui. All and all, a good first day in Asian for Scott.
2 meter 8 centimeter Scott had to duck down to fit in the picture

1 Comments:

At 8:12 AM, Blogger Sole said...

GRACIAS!!! Morgan, por cumplir mi pedido....me gusto mucho ver mi nombre en Chino, y todo el procedimiento para realizarlo, debe ser muy interesante escribir esa caligrafia....pero...mirando la otra foto y la variedad de hierbas para hacer el té.....QUE GANAS DE ESTAR AHI!!!!!!
BESOS.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home