Friday, December 12, 2008

Looking for Dick in DC (Cheney that is)


South Africa Journal: Day Two - Washington DC observations:

1. There are far many more blacks in DC than SF. Blacks seem to be hanging out with blacks and whites seem to stick with whites here. At least from my observations during my 24 hour stay in Dupont Square and my walk around the Mall.

2. People dress up much more here than on the west coast. Dress shirts and ties seem to be the minimal dress code for men. Many wear a suit. And women are smartly dressed.

3. Women make eye contact here. In fact, they often instigate it. So different than San Francisco were you get the look-of-death if you dare look into the eyes of a passing female.

A funny thing about being in the Passport Office this morning: there were framed photos of George W. Bush, Dick Cheney and Condoleezza Rice. Bush and Rice had their name and position printed beneath them but Chaney did not. Such a secretive guy.

I have a friend from San Francisco who just took a job with the White House, photographing Dick Cheney. I called him to see if he could join me at the Brickskeller in Dupont Circle for a beer and a bite to eat. He said he was going to be working late, past 9pm and I needed to be up early to wait in line at the Passport office so a rendezvous didn't look good. I asked him what he was doing so late and he said he couldn't discuss it.

After getting my $60 additional visa pages at the Passport Office, I walked passed the White House on my way to the subway. They were building bleachers outside the White House for Barack Obama's inauguration. After lunch, I went to the airport early to make sure there were no more surprises.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home